Monday, March 24, 2008

Another T-shirt Mashup




I attempted another t-shirt mashup, this time for myself. I went for something totally out of character for me--a very rock'n roll red T with a black racing stripe and a winged skull that spouts fire. As you can see, my toddler was a little scared of it at first, but as he discovered the fine craftsmanship, he warmed up to it.

This shirt took some crazy twists and turns, and I'm still not completely happy with it. I cut a men's XL t-shirt up the sides and sewed in black cashmere arms and side stripes from an old sweater of mine. The gray caps to the sleeves are from some leggings that didn't fit my daughter. Originally I intended the shirt to be long-sleeved, but I accidentally made the sleeves too tight (I wanted them fitted but not so fitted that they ripped when I put them on!). Also, the long gray on black sleeves looked surprisingly like armor and gave the shirt a very Medieval feel. I should have just gone with the look and made a cowl neck and declared myself a Medieval biker chick.

(Anybody out there remember--or ever see--the movie Knightriders (1981) by George Romero and starring Ed Harris? This was a late-night cable favorite of mine when I was in high school, and I'm still in love with that mix of bikes and Ren. Faire. Odd but unexpectedly appealing.)

The neckline is still a work in progress. I cut way too much t-shirt off the front neckline, so something needs to be added.

And then I'll need to figure out where to wear the darn thing. I don't think there are any biker Faires coming up soon, so I guess I should just go ahead and join a gym and wear it there. I think the fitness buffs would give me a wide berth so I'd have all the machines I wanted to myself.

Keep rippin!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep on rippin' and you will get noticed by George Romero. He will sign you up for his next film, and will be able to create t-shirts for zombies, vampires, and rippers galore.

Unknown said...

Good question for Uncle Larry & Aunt Micky...