I was all set to chill out in January, but I got more than I bargained for--single-digit temperatures this week, with wind chills below zero. I can honestly say that for the first time since my move to the Northeast U.S., I am truly enjoying the winter. I don't know if it's the (peri)Menopause or the extra fat layers that I've added since we moved here, but I'm not feeling the cold. I am even entertaining the idea of getting snow shoes for me and my daughter so that we can both get some much-needed winter exercise.
In all other areas of my life, however, I'm not chillin'. Four years of haphazard filing have finally come to a head, and I can no longer find even the most basic documents. (The layers of origami paper and other craft detritus on my office desk have not helped either!)
I need help, dear readers. With tax season coming up, I need to get my business files in order. Can anyone recommend a sturdy, ecologically friendly (perhaps even aesthetically pleasing, if it's not too much of a stretch) filing cabinet for a small home office, one that can hold both my business paperwork and family records? I spent yesterday and today scouring two salvage stores, the Salvation Army, Staples (blech!!), and the local antique mall, with absolutely no luck.
I've looked online and found this filing cabinet from Green Tea Designs. It's the right size and made from repurposed wood, but it just seems extremely unsustainable to have something shipped so far (from Korea originally, then to Canada, and then to the U.S.).
I've looked online and found this filing cabinet from Green Tea Designs. It's the right size and made from repurposed wood, but it just seems extremely unsustainable to have something shipped so far (from Korea originally, then to Canada, and then to the U.S.).
I'd love to hear your innovative, Earth-loving organization solutions. You'll be helping me and the planet out!
I'm finally nearing the end of a LOOOONG editing project, and I'll be scarce around here and blogland for the next month. I may pop in to share a divine knitting bag that I got from a dear friend and some Valentine's treats (I'm a sucker for that holiday!!) just because I won't be able to keep myself motivated without the occasional post. I miss popping in to your blogs and saying hello, but I hope to be a much more active blog friend in February.
Hope you are staying warm!!
UPDATE: I've just found a good solution to my storage problem, or at least an idea for how to proceed: repainted vintage filing cabinets, featured at Poetic Home. Here's my all-time favorite, a 1930s filing cabinet repolished to a brushed-steel finish, from The Old Cinema:

Now the hunt is on to find something locally (and cheap!) to reproduce the lovely finish and vintage name plates. I'll keep you posted on what I find.
8 comments:
Awesome yard sculpture!
In DC, we've got all the cold nasty air with none of the fun white stuff.
I love the snow sculptures that nature and you created. I think there is a secret message within that only you and your children will understand. On the filing cabinet search, I can't really help you. I have a huge one that we retrieved from the surplus for disposal hall in our university days. it holds everything we need to put in a filing cabinet and keeps the snoopy people away because it still has its vintage laboratory stickers on it Danger radioactivity, toxic waste , bio hazard, taxation headaches .....
We will miss you but Feb. is only 2 weeks away :)
I understand your plight with the documents. This is not an area of strength for me so I will not even pretend to give you advice. As to keeping warm it is as hot here as it is cold there by the looks of things! We are swealtering in 43 degrees celcius heat(apparently 38 degrees celcius is equivalent to about 100 degrees farenhight)
that silver thing is so close to perfect... i just want to buff it.
What a whimsical snow structure!
I LOVE that filing cabinet from the Old Cinema Co. I am about to tackle my taxes starting tomorrow, and I share similar sentiments :) I'm not the most organized person, but I do keep all my receipts tidy and organized by deduction type in my antique library card catalog.
Thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog! I enjoyed my stay on your blog and look forward to visiting again :)
Snow sculptures - so fun!! Dig the heart in the middle of that one too!
You can also take those plain boring metal file cabinets and probably take them to an auto body shop and have them painted. Don't know how much that costs. You could paint them yourself as well. Or you could always decoupage them with vintage wallpaper or some other decorative paper.
I'm planning on doing something like that with one I have. Good luck! I've been working on digging out myself....
Check your local library to see if they have something stored away.
Nice things, I like it,and hope view more
Post a Comment