Maya did a wonderful job explaining how she chooses coffee sacks for their weave and graphics. One sack that she had carefully selected had such a fine weave and fun image and graphics that it could have been framed as a funky piece of textile art. I think that's part of the appeal of Maya's coffee sack buckets--they're a form of found art that is utilitarian and upcycled to boot.
To get me started working with the burlap, Maya had me cut out a plain rectangle and sew it up into one of her popular garlic sacks. As I learned, burlap is not an easy material to cut and sew. For one thing, little fibers fly everywhere as you cut the fabric, and the edges easily fray. Neat, it isn't, but an oilcloth tablecloth under our workspace kept the fibers contained.
Maya shared several important tips for how she achieves such a polished result from this rustic fabric. For example, it was quite amazing to see how the burlap was transformed with a simple topstitching into an almost sculptural vessel. (Maya is going to add a garlic stencil to my sack, so I'll show that once I get it home.)
I've discovered that there is something very satisfying working with this rugged material. Jute, the fiber that burlap is woven from, has a very high tensile strength compared to other natural fibers. It lends itself to sacking material that can carry many pounds of coffee beans or other products. The durable fabric withstands the wear and tear as coffee sacks get tossed about onto loading docks and forklifted onto ships. The fairly open weave of the fabric allows air to flow through it. The natural fiber is moisture-resistant, keeping mildew at bay.
These qualities make burlap a utilitarian fabric. Yet, for all its rough-and-tumble qualities, there is also a delicacy to it. Held up to the light, burlap appears almost gauzy as it filters the sun's rays. The burlap bucket I made, for all its double-stitched durability, is remarkably lightweight. It recalls the delicacy of its flax-made cousin, linen.
I don't think I would have gotten past the messy fibers if Maya hadn't shown me a straightforward way to work with burlap. She was the perfect teacher, offering just the right amount of guidance when I needed it. She also let me blunder along on her sewing machine without hovering over me more than I needed. Lucky me that I got a chance to preview the class that Maya will be teaching again at Squam Art Workshops in New Hampshire in early June.
Best of all, of course, was the chance to have some relaxing crafting time with my friend in the light-filled barn studio. Now that's what I call great therapy!
9 comments:
so wonderful! sounds like such a nice time!
great basket - and what a wonderful way to spend time with a friend!
I'm so lucky and grateful that you took my class... and lived to post about it! Only you can sing the praises of burlap with such brilliance. I do think it's a bit magical, so I'm thrilled you did too. P.s.Your garlic sack is drying!!
p.p.s. I had so much fun... we all need to craft with good company, not by ourselves.
Oooh Patricia, what an amazing & interesting post ! I'm so jealous (but shhh, don't tell anyone, it's not pretty being jealous !! LOL) ... crafting along with Maya & with you must be quite something fantastic in itself !
You wrote so beautifully about burlap. I knew it wasn't easy working with it, but Maya is such a burlap pro now !!!
Thank you so much for this wonderful post, Patricia ! It was such a pleasure to read ! oxoxox lots of love !
I'm green with envy. I wish I could have a workshop with Maya!
And you did a stunning job on your burlap bucket.
I would have loved to be with you being taught by the wonderful, sweet and oh so talented and now even published Maya. It would have been so much fun.
Your bucket looks fantastic. What a great print !!
I miss you guys.
You are so talented. What a great design on your bucket, too. Glad you had fun.
You Go Girl! Love your bucket! Your day sounds like it was so much fun, workshops with friends are the best!
This turned out so well I can see why you would be proud! Having worked a little with the burlap myself I see it's frustrations which is why Maya's buckets (and yours) are so amazing, because the results are so polished!
Post a Comment