
Our local farmers market is a bustling place on the weekends during high season. From early summer to late fall, thousands of people tramp along the dusty wooden floors past the stalls lining the covered main pavilion. Light streams from the upper windows upon heads bowed to inspect the bounty produced by local growers: paper bags of deep red tomatoes, piles of lettuce mixes, bouquets of basil bound with rubber bands, rows of cardboard pints of berries. A riot of fragrant international dishes--Mexican burritos, Belgian waffles, Indian samosas, Sri Lankan curry, Japanese noodles--spikes the air with frying oil and earthy spices, enticing samplers to linger.
As much as I enjoy going to the market, I have to admit that I find the crowds and noise overwhelming. So it is with some guilt that I reveal that I haven't visited the farmers market once this summer. Instead I've gathered locally grown goodies from nearby roadside farmstands, u-pick orchards, and country markets. The fruit has been especially luscious this wet summer, with huge sweet blueberries, juicy peaches, and fat late-summer raspberries just rolling out of our refrigerator to be made into pies, smoothies, and all manner of sweet treats. And I've rediscovered the gamey goodness of grass-fed, locally raised beef and pork. (And, oh my, yes, I have put on weight this summer! Thanks for asking.) All this with the added bonus of quiet drives along wildflower-lined country roads, giving me the chance to enjoy the sights of silvered-sided barns next to fields of tasseled corn stalks and golden-headed sunflowers.
With school set to begin next week and the temperatures dipping down in the evenings, I know that my summer of food gathering and country wanderings is coming to a close. September is such a time of turning, the culmination of the summer's growing season and the slow easing into fall's declension and winter's return. This one month encapsulates vibrant growth and the skeletal outlines of decline, much like the the farmers market visited at mid-week, deserted and scruffy and at peace with itself.

Without the vibrant cover of people and produce, the main pavilion reveals its elegant bones. It was designed by a local architect and shares the lines of a 13th-century European cathedral, the long pavilion like a cathedral nave crossed by a transept. A skylight illuminates the northern end of the pavilion, its geometry evoking a barnlike version of a cathedral ceiling soaring skyward.

And everywhere I see the leavings of the weekend market's bounty, products of a long summer's worshipful labor.

I hope you are enjoying September's fullness as much as I am. I've missed my online friends during this extended blog break, but I look forward to visiting your blogs and posting more regularly. I must admit I am very rusty at this blogging thing!


8 comments:
In the words of a famous musician born just south of where I live "rust never sleeps". Although you haven't been blogging or surfing you have been observing and forming poetry and prose in your cerebral cortex all summer long and this post alone reveals that your sharing of your experiences only gets better and better.
I for one enjoy your blog quite a lot, and prefer substantiality to frequency. Thanks for sharing this, what a beautiful building for a market! - We don't have farmers markets in Denmark, so I'll have to make one myself :)
Wonderful photos! My favourites are 3 in the end of the row. So much atmosphere!
I'm glad that I am not the only one with "farmers market guilt." Our only one is on Wednesday afternoons. After school is not an inspiring time to head out of my way for this sort of thing. Don't tell anyone, but I have only been once this year. Shhhh.....
Rusty Schmusty!! This may be one of my very favorite posts! Again with the telepathy - some of your empty farmer's market shots remind me of the shots I took of an abandoned warehouse. I'm really drawn in to that empty space and your photos of it along with your writing. The best writers can take you somewhere and make you feel as if you are there. For the time it took me to read this post I was there!
Welcome home! No rust here... only your lovely voice. The only time I have ever been at the Farmer's Market when it was "at rest" was with you. Seems so long ago. Hope your prep for next week is going well.
xo
Welcome back! I was away over the summer too and although it was strange to hop back in blogging I am realizing just how much I missed it and how easy it was to start again...so, glad you are back : )
Now I'm going a bit crazy trying to figure out if that's the same farmer's market as mine. It sure looks the same! If it is, the gyros are to die for <3
Post a Comment