Don't you love it when you find a term (or two) that perfectly captures what you've been trying to find the words to explain?
I've just found out about two such terms: Slow Cloth and Mail Art.
Slow Cloth is the art textile equivalent of the Slow Food movement (website here). The Slow Cloth approach fosters a deep appreciation for the history and cultural context of the fabrics used in creating a piece. It values process and contemplation, and the slow accumulation of skills to create a piece whose quality the maker can be proud of. It builds community, encouraging the sharing of knowledge and skills. It focuses on green practices. As a whole, it emphasizes the joyful and spiritual nature of creativity.
I didn't learn the term until recently, but I've absorbed the basic tenets of this approach by reading Jude Hill's blog, Spirit Cloth, which presents an essential primer on how to make Slow Cloth. Elaine Lipson coined the term, and along with Jude Hill and Glennis Dolce (Shibori Girl), sponsors a Facebook group for Slow Cloth. Lipson has written a manifesto on the movement, which can be found in this article at Hand/Eye Magazine and on her blog, Red Thread Studio.
It's definitely with joy that I've thrown myself into creating the Crewel Stones. For me, they are all about how the materials--stone and wool--come together and create a remarkable little landscape of curves to work off. With each piece I have improved my stitching and expanded my repertoire of stitches. There are times when the process is meditative and flowing, but many, many other times when I am frustrated by the huge gap between what my fingers are able to accomplish and what I want the stitches to express. (There's lots of ripping out and do-overs, especially with the matryoshka's eyes!) As strange as this sounds, it feels like I'm in a constant dialogue with each stone as I try to translate a sketch or idea onto the three-dimensional surface whose form dictates how the yarn will flow.
As I was wrapping up the last two Crewel Stones to send to Antonella in Italy and Jenn (A Trinket Treasury) in Canada, I was thinking of all of the lovely packages that I have received from Etsy sellers and blog friends. How the wrapping of each item is so carefully done and beautifully presented, an art form itself. How creating a collage of items with a specific recipient in mind is itself a customized piece of art from the heart. How the opening of the package can become a form of performance art. Those are some of the things that the term Mail Art encompasses. You can learn more about it at Jenn's From the Letter Love Files blog.
My kids are on winter break this week, and the snowstorms in Washington, D.C. last week foiled our vacation plans. So we have a full week of a whole lot of nothing planned--the best kind of vacation, really. I hope to be back next week with more posts.
8 comments:
...I can't wait to receive my special package: I don't know "how" it will be, even if I'm ABSOLUTELY sure till now that it will ooze sentiment and positive vibes...thanks so much, dear Patricia! :o***
Your blog is lovely.
I liked very much this last post.
And... oh... imagine in so different
temperatures the same ideas...
Hope some day we can change some mail art.
madamebeleza (rio de janeiro - brasil)
Pat, I love everything about this post. The links and the images are amazing. I know the snow can get old this time of year, but wow does it help create stunning little "masterpieces."
Do you get Selvedge magazine? They often have excellent articles on the history and cultural context of textiles. If you haven't seen one they are beautiful, in an understated way.
Enjoy your vacation :)
I am all in favor of anything slow, be it food, living, creating, fiber and fabric. It is an antithesis to the fast paced frenzied world we occupy. It also feels a bit like being an activist for creating a different kind of life - one that has time to absorb beauty and profoundness (however, I don't have time to look up that word and make sure I spelled it right because I would risk invoking the wrath of the library ladies if I got up from my the computer to find a dictionary) A cable is broken at our house. I think this post perfectly describes your latest creative journey. Can't wait to check out your flickr pictures of your newest felted rocks!
oh.my. these two concepts truly encapsulate two deep loves of mine. it is so exciting to me to read your post. i can't wait to take my time tonight looking at your links, thank you!
you are so gifted at the symbiosis of art , craft and language
I wish i had known about your squashed vacation plans
Such a nice idea--slow cloth. The busier I get the faster I seem to work on my craft, until one day I can't do anything. It seems a much better idea to go slowly, rather than too fast or, in my current state of mind, make nothing at all.
Somehow I missed this post in Feb. Jackie linked to it so I got a second chance to see it.
Slow cloth. What a beautiful concept.
jan
Post a Comment