Tuesday, January 11, 2011

"Thy Life's a Miracle. Speak Yet Again."

High Desert Dawn, With Moon and Snowclouds

I don't have many words to express the sorrow I'm feeling at the attack in Tucson on Saturday. Sorrow at the deaths and at the election-year hate-mongering and violent rhetoric that preceded the event.

I am finding a little solace in the words from Shakespeare's King Lear:

"Thy life's a miracle. Speak yet again." (King Lear, IV, vi, 55; as quoted by Wendell Berry in Life Is a Miracle; An Essay Against Modern Superstition)

My hope on this day of mourning, in honor of those killed and for their families and our grieving nation, is that we continue to speak--to speak up for hard truths; to speak to each across political divisions and other artificial separations; to speak out against ignorance, hatred, and violence when we see it.

4 comments:

Margie Oomen said...

my love to you pat

jackie said...

I know, it shakes me to the core the vitriol that permeates the airwaves. There needs to be the voice that speaks of miracles and reason and reconciliation and peace. To speak again, and again, and again.

ellen said...

Life is a miracle and I don't have the words to express my profound sorrow here, nor the words to surround my feelings of helplessness.
God, may we learn to love each other, to be patient, tolerant, caring and helpful human beings.
Love to you, e.

joanie said...

It's all so ugly. I agree whole heartedly about the importance of speaking up, but sometimes events literally render me speechless, this is one of those events. What can one say? It's unspeakable and the rhetoric, reprehensible.
I hope something good can come from the tragedy, no matter how little that good may be.