Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Antiques for Earth Day

The folks at Pottery Barn continue to send me a catalog every month, even though I haven't ordered anything from them in three years. I must admit that I drool over the colors and patterns in the catalog, but I have gotten over my need to buy new furniture. It simply doesn't seem like a wise thing to do for the planet.

Instead of buying new, I've been finding things I need through the freecycle network and at thrift stores, garage and estate sales, and antique stores. It definitely takes a lot more legwork (and gas for the car, which isn't great for the planet, so there is a tradeoff), but I've ended up with items with history and the patina of loving use.

At a flea market in Adamstown, Pennsylvania, the colors and patterns in a display of vintage items rivaled any spread in Pottery Barn, and the history wasn't reproduction.


At Renningers Markets in Adamstown, a lovely hooked rug made early in the 20th century (possibly by an Amish craftsperson?) would not have looked out of place with any of the retro-mod textiles available today. The rug is a lily pond viewed from above, with turtles and a duck swimming amongst the lilies.


Also at Renningers, this unique, big-bottomed rocking chair caught my attention. For all its solidness, it has a grace and history that I couldn't resist.

So, to celebrate Earth Day, try antiquing (even better, carpool or take the bus)!

1 comment:

mayaluna said...

Happy Earth Day! As much, as I'd love to have an Ikea around the corner, I also appreciate and prefer the magic of rediscovering or repurposing something with a story behind it. Great pictures!