Along the trail we had a treasure hunt of sorts. Our goal was to find three things: mushrooms (to photograph), round rocks, and an egg sculpture. My youngest was the first to spot mushrooms--some polypores growing on a tree. We figure he's a great mushroom-spotter because he's closer to the ground than we are.
We found the egg sculpture, installed by Andy Goldsworthy. We speculated about its nest and the BIG bird that laid it.
We also revisited some of the mushrooms that we saw on our last walk.
Unfortunately we didn't find any smooth, round stones small enough to carry away, but we'll find a more likely spot next time.
************
Here a few more treasures I found at the Friends of the Library book sale.
A small greeting card by illustrator Jean Pierre De Bernay. You can find a better-quality digital version here. It caught my eye because of the grouping of mushrooms, ferns, and snails. Sound familiar, anyone?

And here's a quote from the book, Odd Pets (by Dorothy Childs Hogner, Scholastic Book Services, 1951), that shows me why the twin fascination with snails and mushrooms isn't so odd after all:


And here's a quote from the book, Odd Pets (by Dorothy Childs Hogner, Scholastic Book Services, 1951), that shows me why the twin fascination with snails and mushrooms isn't so odd after all:
Some land snails are very fond of mushrooms. They will eat almost any kind of mushrooms that grows in the woods or the fields. But if you should pick a pretty mushroom and feed it to your land snail and it agrees with him, do not think that you can eat the mushroom too. Snails can eat some kinds of mushrooms that are deadly poisonous to man and not get a stomach ache.
*********
My family's quest to have a TV-free household is coming along well, with a few minor bumps. I think we watched about 15 minutes of TV for the whole long weekend, and the kids have even stopped asking about it. The boys are playing together a lot more as a result, and now they call each other best friends--the kind of love-hate best friends, of course. We've been lots more active with the kids, and they are getting more outside time--hiking, biking, and just playing like puppies. My daughter is busy enough with school and extracurricular activities that she hasn't missed the TV a bit. I think it's hardest on the adults, who sometimes just need a few moments to chill at times.
It's hard for me to believe, but this is my 99th post. To celebrate this milestone, and to give something back to the craft blogging community that I feel so happy to be a part of, I'm planning some kind of giveaway for my 100th post. I'm having a hard time figuring out what I have that people might like--books, fabric, papercuts, knitted items, felted creations? I'll be working on that, so you may not see me until next week.
11 comments:
I'm so happy to hear about your successful weekend with your family. Your exercise in less media seems to be having a powerful effect on all. Last winter I listened to a lot of books on tape while I knit...it had the chill out quality that the tube can sometimes bring...but with some added benefits.
You certainly found some great stuff at the sale...I love all of the snail and toadstool images, as well as your shared research on their connection. Happy 99th post!
I am having trouble really appreciating your post as my silly upload limit is playing up and it is sssoooo sssllloooowwwwww.....
but thought I would say that I did a giveaway for my 100th post and it took me three weeks afterwards to decide what to give them...might be because I did a multi level giveaway.
One for my flickr pals...one for my blog pals and one for all the people who come out of the woodwork...quite often it is full time job for them...strange though that may seem.
Anyway good luck with your giveaway...will be back when I can see things better!
Andrew Goldsworthy is one of my favorite artists!!! You are so lucky to have one of his sculptures in your area. Your photos of mushrooms are fascinating and quite beautiful.
Good luck with the T.V. experiment.
Linda
What a delightful day out in the woods.
What a fantastic 99th post. Congratulations. I adore the books and cards you found for obvious reasons . I am sure you and your little explorers have been having a time full of wonder these beautiful warm October days.
Sounds like you all are enjoying some really delightful time without the tv. I'm impressed with your fungi expertise, such interesting non animal, non plant organisms. What a treat that your boys are experiencing some "best" friend time. I love that when that happens here. One of my prayers is that when the boys are grown, they are really good friends. Great finds at the Friends of the Library sale. I'm going to ours next week and keeping my fingers crossed that I find some goodies!
i love the idea of the nature scavenger hunt. thank you for the info about polypores - we have discovered some rather large, very beautiful yellow ones growing on local oaks. i'll have to post some pictures soon. love the unusual pet book too - library sales are the best! can't wait for your 100th. quite the milestone :)
what a wonderful post!!! such lovely pictures and wow..you live near an andrew goldsworthy! cool!
thanks for all the toadstool infor too!
soooo much better than tv!
No pressure....I promise! Just missing you, and hoping that you and yours are doing well!
I just stumbled upon your blog and think it's wonderful! I love the outdoor photography!
LOoks very much like what we did this weekend :) Glad you are all having fun together.
Post a Comment