"Parents who expect change in themselves as well as in their children, who accept it and find in it the joy as well as the pains of growth, are likely to be the happiest and most confident parents.""Mister" Fred Rogers, Children's Television Host
My family and I are in the midst of a flurry of changes. Nothing big or earth-shattering. Just the ordinary course corrections that we need to occasionally make as we go through our hectic lives and veer away from how we should be living our lives.So I can tell you that change is hard. It's tiring and slow. I can definitely see why people resist change--you really have to reject fear and pessimism and embrace hope. Because change is also good--it's what keeps us growing and striving and improving as human beings and, I should add, as a nation. It means we're living our lives as fully as possible.
I've already mentioned that we're in the process of giving up television, mainly so that our youngest can develop a strong sense of self and the ability to entertain himself without the constant background noise of the television. That's actually going quite well, and his imaginative play is getting so much more interesting and involved. Last night after dinner he was "Museum Guy" and took us on a tour of his snake museum. Today he let the snakes go free and introduced me to his dinosaur museum. Contrary to what we feared, he's been able to amuse himself in his room with Legos and puzzles without needing help. He's starting to offer us narrative alternatives to the stories we tell him at night. In short, he's growing and changing.
My older son is so ripe for changes in his life. Just this month he started riding his two-wheeler without training wheels after years of fighting it. He's riding confidently through our neighborhood to his friend's house. And, in his second year of taking viola lessons, he is practicing consistently and with joy. After constant battles with him last year over practicing, I never thought I would hear him utter these words: "When can I practice my viola?" and "I LOVE playing the viola!"

In the same spirit, I'm trying to embrace some changes that I need to make in my life. The biggest one is making healthier choices in what and how much I eat, and that's been an extremely tough change. In the last few weeks I've realized just how much I use food--especially sweets--as a way to muffle negative emotions, so it's been a rocky time for me emotionally, with some pretty wild mood swings. I've found it very tough trying to fit exercise into my schedule, and I'm learning that for me blog reading and writing and strange sleeping patterns are not compatible with getting fit. So I've been trying to limit my time on the computer, which I'm sure has contributed to my mood swings! It's not an easy addiction to give up.
My husband, the more sensible of us, suggested that we follow a more civilized evening routine with the kids. I run kicking and screaming when anyone utters the word "routine," so this has not been an easy change to implement. I'm more into being mellow and letting things happen, but unfortunately I think that was stressing the kids out more than it was helping them relax.
Today was our first day with the new schedule, and the kids responded so well to set homework, dinner, and play times. It made things go so much more smoothly before and after dinner, without some of the usual arguments about snacks or homework or whining about wanting to go to the park, etc. We actually got everything we needed to done and had time for fun stuff. We went to the park after homework was done and while the sun was still out. After dinner, the boys even played together PEACEFULLY while my husband and daughter worked on the computer and I knitted. Amazing, and I hope we can keep it up.
What changes are you in the midst of?.
Note: The illustrations above are by George M. Richards and are from Arthur I. Gates and Miriam Blanton Huber, The Work-Play Books, Make and Make-Believe, Third Reader, The Macmillan Company, New York, 1937--another Friends of the Library Sale find.
12 comments:
Kudos to you! Those are no small feats. I will be interested in hearing how things progress in your home. It sounds all positive to me.
What a wonderful revealing post dusted with amazing vintage children's book illustrations. Everything you have described in you like is so positive and will have amazing results, I just know it. I am disappointed in the less reading and writing blog bit but I totally understand. I have reduced my daily blog consumption down to about half a dozen on a regular basis and even that is a challenge especially when it comes to wanting to leave intelligent comments. I don't believe in being a non active blog reader without leaving a trace. For me the major change is adjusting to being without my husband for 6 months ( he is in France) , rearranging the household for grown children leaving and arriving , a new kittie in the house and trying to further reduce our ecological blueprint and consume less. It is not a necessity for us because I will never be out of work but I think it is a vital lesson to teach my teenage daughter while I still have a chance to influence her.
oh how i love those illustrations -what a great find. next week is our friends of the library sale. can't wait. change is tough, but it sounds like you have narrowed down the changes you want to make and are approaching them sensibly. we went through a huge change when the kids decided to return to public school - the process is ongoing as we all get used to our new schedule and lifestyle. but lately i keep telling myself, "there is no growth without change". and then i sing sheryl crow's song, "i think a change will do you good".
let us know if you come up with a good strategy for reducing computer time and blog reading. i'm personally thinking of resorting to a schedule - monday i visit blogger a,b,c,d; tuesday, e,f,g,h; etc. i don't want to miss anything but i can't read them all!
Hello Sweet Friend,
I'm missing you something awful. This post was such a lovely taste of "you". Vintage illustrations and thought provoking words- your specialty. Your family changes are beautiful and inspiring to hear about. You're obviously on a positive and meaningful path. Thank you for sharing with us as you grow and learn. It's really helpful for those of us (ahemmm... me)who resist change to hear your successes. Finding balance is so important to our health and happiness. I think you made a wonderful step towards finding it, when you stepped away from the computer. It remains my daily struggle. My big change is that I am going to sleep before midnight on weeknights. Might not sound like a big deal to many, but YOU know me. It takes all of my strength to force myself to turn off my sewing machine and shut down the computer. Many big hugs,
Maya
Thank you all for your thoughtful and encouraging comments! Snippety, I'm realizing just how big all these changes are. Margie, you are right that the changes are yielding some amazing results. And Maya, I'm missing you too, and I'm hoping that our paths can cross soon!!
I am just now beginning to feel that happiness that Mr. Rogers described in the opening quote of this post. Last night I made black beans, brown rice, and pumpkin muffins for dinner, and everyone enjoyed the healthy meal. And now I'm off to happily enjoy my brown rice, chard, and tofu for lunch--the old me would have blanched at that!
And Molly--thanks for adding to the soundtrack of my life as I work through these changes! I've been singing David Bowie's "Ch-ch-ch-ch Changes." I'll let you know if I come up with a miraculous strategy for keeping up with all the blogs and getting sleep and taking care of the kids and getting in some crafting time!
Thank you for sharing this. We are struggling with change, and I want so badly to be more graceful about it - longer work hours for both of us, a new and precocious stage of being for my sone, personalf transformation for both of us - somehow it is comforting to know that other families are undergoing similar experiences. I love the simple idea of how routine helps guide this...
Change is the one thing you can count on : )
What a lovely post. Yes, I am allll about agreeing that Change Sucks. But I'm so proud of you for going with it and being so graceful about it. I'm trying to learn from your example.
Thank you for the reminder that there is life beyond television. EEK! have to retrain them to be constructive thinkers... :-) no really, i needed that bit of encouragement. they had a great time tonight playing games while I made dinner, and "reading" books to each other... that is how it should be... fun, educational, and bonding... :-)Have a great night...
Love those vintage photos. where do you get them from??? they are so pretty!
We got rid of our television when the three boys were young (more than twenty years ago) and it was worthwhile then (albeit a challenge!) and I feel the positive effects continue as they are now all grown men, one with his own child - and - no tv. Best of luck in all your endeavours!
Can I just say how proud I am of you and how inspiring this post is! It's sounds like even though change is hard the results are undeniable. And your family is reaping the benefits of such thought and care for what is best for everyone. And I think the reason it's so hard to turn off the computer is because of the friendships I've formed with awesome people like you. It has been one of the most pleasant suprises to find a community of creative people who are also devoted to their families and who appreciate the small grace filled moments of daily life. So glad you are sharing the changes you are making. Now I must take care of my fitness and go jogging!
Post a Comment