Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Bird Signals



The month of March--which I must qualify with: here in the northeastern part of the northern hemisphere in the confusing days of climate change--is so full of excitement and promise and growth ready to explode. For me, March suits my personality the best. It's moody and unpredictable, a wild promise. The creeks are full and boiling with snowmelt and rainfall. Yesterday I walked along the lakeshore, and the wind whipped up angry waves and blew my cheeks numb. Today, though gray, feels warmer, with the air heavy with an expectant humidity. The morning was raucous with bird cries. Literally hundreds of Canada geese called out "North! North! North!" above me as they arrowed their way home. On my walk, I stopped to listen to the high, excited chirps of about a dozen black-capped chickadees in a tall oak tree. A crow scolded me as she swooped away. I didn't have my camera with me to capture this complicated symphony, but I've included a clip of a clear cardinal call I captured last week (it starts at the 12-second mark).

4 comments:

Shelley Noble said...

lovely!

Margie Oomen said...

I hear that outside my bedroom window every morning. The nesting cardinals return every spring to the front yard. They are very unhappy with Edgar ( our only outdoor cat) . Last spring they actually started dive bombing him the poor thing. He just thinks those bright red birdies are just so pretty.

Tonia said...

The sound of geese overhead always stops me in my tracks as I try to locate the traveling V shaped wedge in which they fly. March is good, the daffodils and daphne and other signs of life are like a light at the end of a tunnel. I really enjoy reading your posts!

Anonymous said...

I told you we were having a sychronized week. Just today as I was trying to snap pictures of birds (red-winged blackbird, meadowlark, hawk) and not being successful I was thinking it's too bad I can't photograph all the chittering the birds were doing. And you did it! What a sweet song and a great capture!