Sunday, June 28, 2009

Off to Camp



I just sent my oldest off to sleepaway camp for three weeks, and I am alternating between excitement and anxiety for her. It will be an intense adventure, and I'm sure she will be opening new doors of experience and discovering windows that shed light on her inner strengths.




She will be learning on her own how to balance her work and play time.





Most of all, I hope, she'll be aspiring to new heights creatively and intellectually.


I wonder if growing up is harder on the parent or the child?

11 comments:

Sonia / COZY MEMORIES said...

Def. harder for the parent, Patricia !
Good luck for living without the presence of you daughter for three weeks. I know you can make it.
Movers will arrive in an hour. Big hugs from me to you, and talk to you at our new place, ASAP. xoxox

Rane said...

Yes the parent! The child sees
only adventure... we see
everything else. We miss them and
the are having the time of their
lives... we until night, then
they always remember you! hehehe!
She will be fine! And so will you!
Loads of motherly strength for you, and of course love.
*((hugs))*
Rane
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Sonia I hope your trip is safe,
we will greatly miss you! I
am sorry I missed you before your
trip!
Loads of love to you, and
strength too.
((Hugs))
Rane
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~

Margie Oomen said...

Definitely the parent! The children delve into the new experience with all their body, heart and soul and have little time for worry or concern. Every time I sent my children off to camp they came home taller, stronger and full of life and adventures. Hugs.

mayaluna said...

The two of you are so close... what a wonderful adventure this will be for both of you!

ZenCrafter said...

Thank goodness for cell phones and texting, that's all I can say! How did campers (and their parents) make it through before them?

Karen Salva said...

Unanimous for the parent, at least for those who did their job! I did not have the chance to go away to camp but off to college with the thrill of the new experience and home was a phonecall to share the experience with. It did not matter back then because as a young adult I took my mom with me in my heart. As a parent it is near opposite because unfortunately your heart goes with them as they spread their wings.

Snippety Gibbet said...

Oh, wouldn't you love to go to three weeks of camp? Man o man. Lucky kid.

jan

Julie Alvarez said...

I never solved that question!
Neither as a daughter nor as a mama.
I guess both.

Red Hen (dette) said...

Most definitely the parent! Because the child just wants to grow up and sees the parent as unreasonable. The parent wants them to grow up but wants them to still be their child, they want them to have fun but want them to be safe they have to let go but don't really want to. My children are 16 and a half and almost 18 now and I am a bit lost as to what my role is going to be now. I'm a single mum and have had sole care of these kids for the last 15 years, my role as mother has been pretty much all consuming- although I did make a conscious effort to try not to let it totally take over who I am. It's hard to let go. I hope she has a fantastic time and that you do too.
Just a note on mobile phones sometimes they don't answer them- ignore it they are fine just too busy to respond!!!!

jackie said...

The parents for sure! My two youngest are on a 10 day vacation with their grandparents. The two times I've talked to them on the phone indicates they are having a great time without me. How could they?? They should at least be crying in their pillows a little bit at night!
Hope your daughter has a fantastic time! A time to test her wings a bit and to strengthen those flight muscles.

Xfinance said...

Great post, thank you.