Saturday, June 20, 2009

Water, Water Everywhere

The rain hasn't let up for days, and I'm feeling the June Gloom. Earlier in the week, however, my son and I caught a glimpse of the sun and mostly blue skies and headed to our favorite creek for a picnic lunch.


We admired the tadpoles, probably already more than a month old, as they swam amongst the rocks. Some kind of water snake poked his head and part of his body tentatively from beneath a boulder in the creek, but I didn't manage to photograph him before he retreated.



We walked to the pond and fed the koi and the growing goslings, still with their fluffy head feathers, while another feathered friend looked on in frustration.

And today's all-day drizzle made it just right for sitting inside and putting the finishing touches on the WaterStone. The mermaid is curled around a felted stone, and her body is fashioned from a vintage linen napkin and thrifted vintage fabric scraps. Her braided hair is vintage crewel wool, and her collecting bag is crocheted from vintage variegated crochet cotton.

9 comments:

mayaluna said...

She's absolutely exquisite! Breathtaking little details... like her hair and collection basket.

Padparadscha said...

I love her.

Karen Salva said...

I too am feeling the June Gloom, thought April was for showers and June for enjoying outside time.

Your mermaid is so beautiful and the details are fabulous. At least your creativity has not been zapped by the weather.

Margie Oomen said...

I can hear her voice already, this beautiful mermaid. The other stones are stirring waiting expectantly for her arrival. I LOVE the photograph of the bird on the lily pad.

Red Hen (dette) said...

Hi, I left a comment on your flickr site about this lovely mermaid...You asked about my little embroidered brooch. It is made on unprimed linen sold at my local art shop. They sell it as canvas making linen to have gesso painted over it I love it for it's body and lovely course weave that isn't too rough.

Red Hen (dette) said...

Oh and ditto on the lilly pad photo it's stunning.

jackie said...

Oh, she is exquisite! It is really her facial details that I find most lovely!
lily pad shot and bird - awesome!

Mi Thoughts said...

The lily pad shot is fantastic! I'm glad I found your site. You have a very crisp way of writing which is refreshing. It's very Hemingwayesque.

Paul
http://mithoughtsnow.blogspot.com/

marie said...

the mermaid on the rock is brilliant!
she is really lovely. the outdoor photos are beautiful.