Wednesday, February 23, 2011
Are You Feelin' It?
At the beginning of February, I gave myself an assignment. A little nudge to focus my often scattered attention. It was to write a series of love letters to explore the many faces of love.
Love wears the face of my grandmother and my mother. Those letters were easy to write.
Writing a love letter to myself was harder, even knowing that self-love is one of the foundations for all of the other kinds of love.
But as I was writing about love, searching for the words for love in many languages, I felt that something was off. I felt like a hypocrite, chasing love with my head while my heart felt as cold as the February days. I got irritable and cranky, out of sync with my loved ones.
And so I stopped writing. If I wasn't "feelin' it," I thought, then I sure shouldn't be writin' it.
Then, after an argument with a loved one, I started noticing some things.
Maybe you could call them love practices. The instinctive impulse, after being awakened from a deep sleep, to comfort a child awakened by a nightmare. Getting out of bed after a late night and making breakfast. And not just a breakfast of cold cereal, but a hot meal with protein and veggies and a little bit of spice and a fresh fruit smoothie to start the day off right. (Some mornings it was a love practice to just get out of bed and tell the kids to get their own cold cereal.)
Noticing itself became a love practice. Noticing when the boys played peacefully through the morning of the umpteenth snow day (OK, maybe it was just the fourth snow day :)). Noticing that my son never fails to say "thank you" and "please." Noticing the growing confidence of my once-cautious daughter as she took a flight all by herself for the first time. Reminding myself to acknowledge these acts with a word or smile became a love practice.
Even though I wasn't feelin' it all the time, I was practicing love in little ways, as were the people around me.
I think I'll keep on practicing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
wow! your writing is absolutely beautiful and I admire your self-awareness and authenticity. ...thanks for sharing this!
I'm so glad I visited your blog today. It gave me inspiration for a session on body image for an Eating Disorders group I co-lead. It is sometimes difficult to teach self-love and the words you used to describe it "not feeling it", and how you describe the self love in serving breakfast can assist with the delivery of a particular session I have in mind. You may have a few blog fans in the future after I credit you.
There is not much more to say because you have said it so well. Your honest words are so full of love.
Thank you for this beautifully written post. To be honest, I don't think that I have ever thought in terms of the practice of love, nor have I truly been awake and aware to the daily "things" that I do as a testament to a living and real demonstration of my love.
I'm having difficulty with my words here...but in my heart and mind, I can feel and see it and your words have opened up new spaces and places for me to be.
this reminds me of the One Thousand Gifts books. did this post come about after your conversation with your friend and about this book?
practice and perspective, it seems that the practice of love brings about perspective and brings to light all of those sacred things. perhaps practice precedes feeling, or as in the words of Ann Voskamp from that book "thanksgiving always precedes the miracle".
p.s. starting to emerge, thank you for the offer of an ear!
Post a Comment