Thursday, September 11, 2008

Birthday Banner

Around our house, September marks the beginning of birthday season. My husband's birthday this week starts off our string of family birthdays--two in October, one in November, and, finally, mine in late December. (According to my daughter's calculations, I will be the answer to life, the universe, and everything.)
I used maya*made's tutorial for newspaper bunting to create a reusable birthday banner. It's an easy and quick project, though I have to admit I skipped the ironing step. (I don't even iron my husband's shirts, so I don't think I'm ironing newspaper!) My husband loved the texture and fabric-like look of each piece. I love how the text and images from the newspaper subtly show through the paint.

I didn't notice until I posted these pictures, but the red "t" appropriately enough has an ad for sippy cups from Mama Goose, where maya*made did design work.



This lazy mom will probably leave the banner up until the New Year rolls around. I just realized that I'll only need one more diamond to spell out "Merry Christmas," so I can turn the diamonds around to commemorate our holiday celebration as well. How's that for multipurpose?

11 comments:

mayaluna said...

Happy birthday Zen Crafting husband! So fun to see this up...we didn't take ours down for weeks after the tutorial photo shoot...now we've got a birthday coming up...should have just left it up! Love how you'll turn it into Merry Christmas! And that "t" on the Mama Goose add is just funny and perfect.

mayaluna said...

One more thing...maybe it doesn't always need ironing...yours seem just right! I have a very close relationship with my iron...so maybe I'm a bit compulsive. I do want you to someday try and iron one flag just for me...it really is fun and nothing like a husband's shirt, I promise! It became a fun crafting step, not just a domestic chore...but then again maybe I'm a bit cracked! :)

Linda Summerfield said...

Great banner and I love the use of newspaper instead of cutesy fabrics, way cooler!
Linda

Molly said...

love the colors in your banner! i want to make one of those too - maybe a fall/halloween one for october.

daysease said...

Happy birthday to you all, firsdt of all. second, that is a REALLY cute banner. hm... may have to try this project. it is good for all kinds of occasions. so... have a great day, and thank you for sharing. :-)

Snippety Gibbet said...

I need to try one of those. They are just so dog goned attractive. Eye catching and clean....

Shalet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shalet said...

Let's try this again ...

Happy Birthday and spectacular banner - love it!

Anonymous said...

I love your daughter's quote! Wonder if that will wear off when she's a teenager....hmmmmm. You are not lazy just incredibly effecient! And I'm just going to have to set aside a day to try out several of Maya's tutorials.

zakkalife said...

your banner came out great and I really like the colors you used

Margie Oomen said...

happy birthday to your husband and you did a lovely job on the banner. I really love those colors . You are a fantastic tutorial promoter, as if you needed another job.