Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Is the Forest a Girl or a Boy?

I'm not supposed to be here, so, shhh!, don't alert the Balancing Blogging with Daily Life authorities. . . . But I just had to share some shots of a picture-perfect Fall day.

This morning I went out with this preschool dropout for a "hike" (his idea) in the wetlands and woods . . .

and, as we were watching the geese and ducks and the turtles and frogs at the pond . . .
with the blue sky peeking through the thick trellis of leaves above us and the sunlight filtering through like a hard-won truth . . .
I realized that nature is the best school he could possibly be in, and that he is a perfect boy on this gloriously perfect day. And I am the luckiest person alive to be sharing this moment with him.

Afterwards, as we walked through the woods, I got to thinking about how gendered a place nature is. I think many people would identify nature as female. After all, "Mother Nature" is a fairly widespread cultural trope.

When I was growing up in rural South Texas, however, the outdoors was considered a decidedly masculine sphere of hunting animals for food and sport and trapping them for pelts. My dad--a hunter of deer, dove, and quail--took my brother along on his hunting trips but not me and my sister. We certainly took family hikes, but I think my father and I saw nature through different eyes. While I was admiring a deer or a family of doves, he was counting the buck's antler points and sizing up the dove family for that night's supper.

I asked my son whether the woods was a boy or a girl, and he responded that it was a girl AND a boy. I like that answer best of all. (The meadow, according to his scheme, is a boy, and the pond is a girl.)

And what about mushrooms, those decidedly phallic forest dwellers?

They are the fruiting bodies, or spore-releasing structures, of the underground parental unit called the mycelium.

The tiny, fragile tips of a mycelium reach out until they encounter the tip of a genetically compatible mycelium. They do a little mating dance and then, when conditions are warm and moist enough, up pops some mushrooms, which then release many spores, each of which can produce another mycelium.

So I guess my son's take on the woods as being both a boy and a girl is pretty apt, at least in relation to fungi.

If you look closely enough at the underside of these delicate mushrooms (which I think belong to the genus Coprinus), you can see the dusty, black spores ready to disperse and find a moist, dark place to grow into a new mycelium.




To preserve my memories of this wonderful Fall day, I plan to try some leaf-preserving crafts, courtesy of tutorials by maya*made . . .
and Resurrection Fern.


And felt another of Lil Fish Studio's acorns with the "mother" of all acorn caps we found on our walk.

8 comments:

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

What a lovely day to have spent. I had never considered the gender of nature before, that's something to contemplate. I too grew up with a hunting father and (I would imagine) since he didn't have a son, he shared those adventures with me. It's always been my place to wander and roam, reflect quietly, cry in solitude, rejoice, play... but never have I thought whether that place is mother nature holding me tight or father encouraging me forward. Thanks for the points to ponder!

Margie Oomen said...

Beautiful words and pictures just to make us realize just how much we miss your wisdom. I love the mushroom pictures so much and wonder if you email me a copy of the one with the cap turned upwards and the gills and spores exposed. It is spectacular and i would love to place it amongst my own mushroom photographs. Now I have to go the tend my little forest of humans in my office with all their flora and fauna.

Linda Summerfield said...

Beautiful and poetic!

mayaluna said...

How lucky we are to have you back...if even for a moment. Thank you for making you "sneak post" such a lovely and thought provoking one. Your poetry and your wisdom (as Margie so rightly called it) is sorely missed. I will be thinking of the the gender of nature in my dreams tonight...I'm sure. We spent all morning outside in the woods and I took your words with me...

Snippety Gibbet said...

Interesting concept. Are the woods male or female. I like that idea........ I grew up in the woods and it was like a friend to me, but I can't say it was either gender. It was more just a part of me. Inseparable. Like an arm or a leg or your thoughts or your feelings......

Anonymous said...

*me whispering* Hello Pat, glad you popped in for a moment! Genderless nature, and nature as an inseparable part of us. Delightful!! I've just been reading about mushrooms in the last part of "The Omnivore's Dilemma". So, I'm feeling like your post is another layer of knowledge. Glad you and the little guy had such a great day!

MandMStudio said...

Looks so peaceful:)

daysease said...

I thoroughly enjoyed "joining" you on your walk. I loved the pictures you took. especially those at-eye-level mushroom shots... very cool. sigh... God did good, no matter if natures is boy or girl... :-)