The recent rains have enlivened our mushroom population, and it's always fun to go outside after a rainshower to see what new friends have popped up.
And I noticed a thriving "bouquet" of wood fungus growing on a stump. This little colony has doubled in size since the summer.
I also noticed the red-veined bottoms of shiso leaves. The plant, whose leaves are green on top, had re-seeded itself from last summer in a tidy little row. Orange-red seed pods from Lily of the Valley. They look very Halloween to me.
Probably one of the last, lonely wild strawberries. I love its nubby texture.
So, the Fall color is out there, it just takes some searching to find.
I've been learning lots of new knitting and crochet tricks by following Resurrection Fern's beautiful and helpful series of knitting, crochet, and felting tutorials. Each little project has given me that little nudge to try some things that had intimidated me--knitting in the round, crochet, etc. So far I have crocheted an acorn necklace, knitted up a coffee cozie (and, for my son, a viola chin rest, which is just a narrower cozie stuffed with wool and sewed up at the ends!!), and started on one of the little knitted trees. I'd love to see what you've come up with by trying the tutorials.
I'll be taking a little bit of a blog break for the next few weeks. All I want to do is knit and crochet and felt these days, but reality is getting a little bit in the way. Work and a childcare crisis are taking up my time, and I need some time away from the siren call of the blogosphere and Flickr to attend to these pressing issues.
Happy Autumn!
7 comments:
Those pictures are fantastic . I love all the different shades of red you found. One of my favorite colors at this time of year. I have never seen wild strawberries in september. I wish you a creative, productive break. Happy mothering, editing and crafting. I just don't know what I will do with two of my favorite bloggers on break ( elsita and patricia) but I am sure I will find something to occupy my time.
Sweet friend, thanks for sharing the lovely photos from your world. I've noticed the same thing - summer's colors are gone but fall has not yet exploded. Not that I'm impatient. No. Not. At. All.
(tapping foot)
I'm sad to read that you're taking a blogcation, but hope that you get your work and childcare ironed out ... and get some crafting in, too. Best wishes!
Enjoyed looking at all the fungi pictures. The white mushrooms were my favorite.
Love all of your mushrooms, especially that bouquet. You've really inspired me the how you've tried out so many of the Resurrection Fern tutorials. There next on my list, but even in the midst of so much you've tackled them...amazing. Thinking peaceful resolutions and easy solutions to the work/childcare crisis. Your lovely words will be so missed...we'll have to throw a virtual party when you return.
Your recent turn of events benefited me today and we loved playing at the park with you and you sweet, sweet littlest!
Enjoy the fall, we will miss you.
Taking a break. That sounds really smart and renewing. Sometimes I can be a real slave to my computer.
I love the mushroom photos. The first ones, I thought were flowers at first. The white ones are gorgeous.
Enjoy the break! We'll miss you!
Happy Autumn to you as well. Enjoy your break! I'll miss you, but will look forward to your return. I always love to see what nature wonders you find, and I'm hoping you will show off all your projects when you go online again. Take care friend!
Post a Comment