Sunday, January 31, 2010

February Tree Matryoshka Stone


It's the time of winter when I need a little lift, a gentle reminder to look around me and see the beauty under gray skies and in the face of knife-edged winds. I put all of the hopeful thoughts I could into the stitching for this February Tree Matryoshka Stone.

I finished her up on Sunday, a low day for me. I felt emotionally depleted, and my default mode of communication with my family seemed to be shouting. So I added a little scene on the back of the covered stone, a reminder to keep myself firmly supported while reaching skyward.


The February Tree Matryoshka Stone will be listed for sale at the Haiti By Hand Etsy shop to support the relief and rebuilding efforts in Haiti. Rebecca continues to share her plans for how the seed money raised by Haiti by Hand will directly empower the women artisans of Despinos, Haiti--women like Jeannine, whose childhood love for embroidery resurfaced when given the proper supplies. Let's put even more materials into her hands, and those of the other women, so that they can create more works of art like this.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Your work is so pretty and inspiring. I wish I had the resources at the moment to purchase this stone and to support such a good cause. Thanks so much for your posts. I so enjoy them!

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

This is beyond beautiful and I completely relate with the sentiment. I'll be watching the shop in hopes that I get to snap this up.

xo
Lisa

Nanou said...

I'm in love with your Matrioshka, Pat ! As Margie, you're one of my favorite artists existing on this world. Your work touch me more than when I visit a Museum ! I guess you spent so many hours and so much love to create it, you're so generous ...
I'm going to wait a little to buy this piece of art : once again to give a chance to other friends or people to have the big privilege to own something from you.
(Just to inform you, I couldn't see your Matriosha on "Haïti by hands" you linked.)
Much love and congrats to your magic hands !
Nanou

Nanou said...

Yeppee, the Matrioshka is still in the shop !!! Hubby is going to buy it :), but I would like to be sure anyone of your friends wants to buy it too ... I'm going to check with Lisa of Lil Fish Studios by Flickrmail. Hugs and see you later ...

Nanou said...

I checked with Lisa, she said my hubby could buy it, but then we saw it's not possible to ship to France, which is easily understandable as the shipping costs would reduce the amount of the help for Haïtian people. So, I'm sure the pretty Matrioshka will quickly find another fantastic home ...
Much love to you, generous and talented Pat.

Margie Oomen said...

your felted stone art is so wonderful and unique pat
I hold mine in my hands everyday
a mother within the hands of a mother dreaming about a mother