The Sacred Spring Stone is off to Seattle, where I know it will feel right at home. Thank you, Cindy, for supporting the work of Haiti by Hand, whose mission is to directly aid women artisans in Despinos, Haiti. The Haiti by Hand Etsy shop is filled with handcrafted and heartfelt expressions of hope for this community, including the stirring Lespwa (Hope) Milagro made by Pilar Isabel Pollock.
I am finishing up a matryoshka covered stone like the ones that kicked off my latest obsession with covered stone embroidery. Stitching on felt is an act of meditation for me, calming this restless brain of mine that flutters from thought to thought like an agitated bird. But working on this series of stones for Haiti by Hand is so much more than that. Each stitch feels like a prayer I am sending to the women of Haiti. And though this little contribution of mine is not much, it feels as if together we are building this great big strong wall of support for them.
I wanted to cover this matryoshka stone with a Tree of Life, a folk image that is used in Haitian art. As I stitched the design I had sketched, the curving lines of the branches naturally formed the contours of the matryoshka's hooded cloak. Don't you love happy accidents?
4 comments:
I actually subscribed to the etsy shop page this time so maybe I can get it! I love the whole idea of the tree of life, etc!
it is so meaningful and beautiful at the same time pat
I love to see a work in progress, it's fascinating! And what a wonderful message filled with of hope your tree of life is ! You definitely have a very special heart, Pat. Wish you a nice and peaceful week ...
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding my Lespwa Milagro for HBH. It is such a joy and gift to be able to create with intention and help our fellow breathern in their time of need.
I am in complete awe of your beautiful and soulful work! The symbolism and energy of your creations must be out of this world. xoxoxoxo
Post a Comment