Friday, May 8, 2009

The Ferns Have Emerged




Looking up from the creek bed where I was taking some photographs, I noticed the well-worn path that I had climbed down. It criss-crosses a shaded cliff face and emerges into the light above. Energized by the view, and the hope it implied, I clambered up the rocks and continued my walk.


The creek was my second stop after visiting the wildflower garden to check on the ferns' progress. The ferns I wrote about in my previous post have passed their tender infancy and emerged as clusters of fancy fronds. Their long stalks grow closely together in tight fairy rings.



The tender green sporophytes of the Interrupted Fern have matured and darkened.




Another Fern has emerged as well. Resurrection Fern's snail friend, Fern, has come out of hibernation. Margie has returned Fern to the garden, where s/he (how can one tell?) has already made some new friends.


Fern's emergence happily coincides with my recent return to a work-in-progress. This felted covered stone, called Earth Stone, is the second in a series of stones that I have been making for Margie. Each stone is loosely inspired by one of the four earthly elements from ancient lore: Earth, Water, Air, and Fire. The first one, Air, can be seen, as photographed expertly be Margie, here. (More about the background for Air Stone in a later post.)


The stone underwent a transformation last night. (You can see my original conception in my previous post and on my Flickr photostream.) I pulled out the side stitching and added some "earth" stitching to ground the figures. I also added a mushroom with an appliqued cap. The fabric is from a vintage quilt scrap that Margie had sent me in a swap last year. Fern will soon be getting a bit of a makeover as well, to capture his/her cinnamon swirls.

I'll post more about Earth Stone and the transformative experience that inspired its makeover next week.

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

mayaluna said...

Looking forward to reading more about your earth stone. I love that it keeps evolving.

Margie Oomen said...

Ferns, snails, earth , felt and your photographs and your skilled creative hands, could anyone ask for a more perfect blog post. I adore stone number one the air stone and was just looking at it this morning when thinking about putting the easter eggs away ( yes it has been that busy:). The idea of a work evolving is one I would love to see more of. To often we just show that finished projects and forget to share the process. Getting there is more than half the fun and is something we can all learn from.
Fern was happy munching of some moist dead leaves this morning. My garden snails are the most efficient little mulchers. I am still able to recognize him/her. By the way snails are hermaphrodites having both male and female reproductive organs.
You might find this interesting.
http://www.snail-world.com/How-do-Snails-Reproduce.html

onegoldensun said...

I love the ferns, and your earth stone is inspiring and beautiful. i love the merging of creativity and natural form, which you do so well!

Anonymous said...

I think it's interesting the way our work responds to and is influenced by changes in our natural environment. I am so glad you are sharing your process, and not just a product--to me it is so rewarding to see how a person's path changes, how the art responds, and how the two continue on a new journey.