Thursday, May 14, 2009

What is Zen Crafting (Revisited)?


A sinus infection has slowed me down this week. I've been using the time to do an annual review of what Zen Crafting (the blog and the practice) is all about. I did this last April as well, shortly after I started the blog.

Zen Crafting, the blog, represents only part of my life. It's the part of my life that shores me up. It is a place to capture and remind myself of those fleeting moments of transcendence, beauty, and connectedness. My posts are a way of holding hope, banking that rare commodity in the constant face of pessimism and despair.

Zen Crafting, the practice, is bringing a sense of mindfulness to moments with my family and friends, my encounters in nature, and in my explorations of handwork. It is reining in my impatience to be more accepting of process rather than focusing on outcome. And it involves taming my constant sense of distractedness to focus on and respond to the present.

In short, Zen Crafting is a quiet reminder of possibility. It's that thin thread of hope that runs through the fabric of my life.

5 comments:

Margie Oomen said...

zencrafting is a very mindful and beautiful place and a place I like to lay my tired head down when ever I can

Tonia said...

What a great photo!
I think you succeed admirably in capturing the beautiful moments of your life!

Snippety Gibbet said...

I've seen so many crocheted nature pieces lately that I thought those mushrooms were made of yarn.

Jacki said...

Hi Pat,

I so enjoyed meeting you on Saturday. Thank you for all of your encouragement. It has been a fun visit to your blog--kind of like being invited into your lovely home. I will be back again to peek in and look forward to seeing you again.

Jacki

Tally said...

Dear zen crafting, far away living woman,
I discovered your blog yesterday night and knew instantly that this is one I will keep on with.
I like the words you found for this post.
Thanks for sharing the truths of life.
Tally