The land has been released from winter's suspended animation. Sap is flowing, and the crab apple's tight magenta blossoms are on the verge of mass release. Yesterday I noticed the first opened flowers. The delicate pink interior is a surprise. Opening releases their chromatic intensity, I guess.
Sun and clouds were playing with each other. They created a shifting dance of light and shadow underneath the crab apple tree.
As usual my social life seems to have picked up with spring's quickening. People want to shed their winter gear and gather together like the crab apple's branches thick with blossoms. It's tempting to get caught up in that busy-ness. To ignore my gardening duties or hire someone to tackle the tide of garlic mustard that needs to be tamed before it drowns out the more delicate wildflowers.
But I didn't. I spent a glorious morning weeding. And I noticed. The birds sang their conversations as I crouched in the shade of the chestnut tree. The sun warmed my shoulders, melting my muscles to the task at hand. And I caught the first open flower of the crab apple tree.
It made me wonder how many things I fail to notice in my rush to get things done. How many growing things that, in return for a little tending and attention, return that care with flowers that share their intensity for only a moment.
I hope that today you get a chance to dig in the dirt, plant a seed, or tend your garden. Happy Earth Day!
2 comments:
This was beautiful. I'm heading out in the garden right now :)
Happy Earth Day to you too!
Wow - the crab apple flowers are so beautiful! It's wonderful to be outdoors more than indoors!
Post a Comment