Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Texas Wildflowers

I've written about my love affair with the Hill Country region of Texas, my home state. There's another part of Texas that's in my blood. It's the coastal plains of South Texas, where my family has deep roots.


In the early 1800s, the Spanish Crown granted land to my several-times great-grandfathers in the harsh chaparral of what is now South Texas. They owned thousands of acres of the dry, scrubby lands in the 19th century. Cactus and sage, mesquite and live oaks covered the lands on which they grazed cattle.


As Texas became part of independent Mexico, its own republic for a time, and then part of the United States, my ancestors sold off their ranch lands bit by bit and subdivided the remaining portions among their children. They were land rich but cash poor, and they endured many hardships. Weather was a constant threat: hurricanes, drought, killing frost. They fortified their homes against Indian raids, leaving only tiny windows in their dark, mud-brick dwellings. Northern settlers placed increasing pressure on their lands after the Civil War.


These tough-skinned Texans of Spanish/Mexican descent survived thanks to their strong Catholic faith, an unwavering reliance on family, and a fundamental belief in education. My grandparents lived these beliefs and passed them on to their twelve children. Their children--my cousins and I, dispersed as we are, many of us far away from Texas--carry in our hearts these traditions rooted in the very soil of South Texas.

I only get a chance to visit Texas once a year, and even less often do I make it all the way to South Texas. This Easter the memory of my grandparents, my brother, and my aunt and uncles who have passed away drew me back. My memories of childhood visits to my grandparent's house are vibrant and joyous, like the multicolored confetti inside the cascarones (confetti eggs) that my cousins and I hunted at Easter.



It's hard to adjust to how my grandparents' little town has changed. Their old, welcoming home where we spent many holidays was torn down over a decade ago, and only one rose bush remains from my grandmother's front garden, where the roses that she hand-watered with a long hose bloomed as wide as plates. The fig tree whose delicate fruits were within easy reach of my hands is gone, and the spreading branches of the ebony trees have been damaged by frost. The back yard where my cousins and I hunted Easter eggs is overgrown with weeds.

The busy highway that leads to the Rio Grande Valley now bypasses the town. The sound of 18-wheelers hauling oranges and grapefruits and watermelons from the Valley to the north that was once like a lullaby when I slept at my grandparents' house is absent. When we got a chance to play at the school playground, it was a scary thrill to cross the highway, waiting for a break in the speeding cars, but now only a few slow trucks pass through. The little store where my cousins and I bought candy with the quarters my grandfather put in our pockets is shuttered.

What remains then? The land itself and, right now, in the brief spring before the unrelenting heat of Texas summer, the profusion of wildflowers that claim the roadside ditches and fallow fields. They are the land's brief taste of sweetness, both a memory and a promise.

Lemon mint (Monarda citriodora)

Scarlet Guara (Gaura coccinea)

Scarlet Guara (Gaura coccinea)

Globe Mallow (Sphaeralcea lindheimeri)

Texas thistle (Cirsium texanum Buckl.)

Groundsel (Senecio ampullaceus) (?)

Red Poppy (Argemone sanguinea)

Red Poppy (Argemone sanguinea)

Red Poppy (Argemone sanguinea)

Prickly Poppy (Argemone sanguinea Greene)

Red Poppy (Argemone sanguinea)


Red Poppy (Argemone sanguinea)

Indian Blanket (Gaillardia pulchella var. pulchella)

Texas Bluebonnet (Lupinus texensis)

Heart's Delight (Abronia ameliae Lundell)

6 comments:

Sonia / COZY MEMORIES said...

oh what a nostalgic & beautifully written (as always) post, my friend
I can feel the sorrow in your words, the disappointment that so many of the things & places you used to know have disappeared or were modified, with time. I imagine how sad it must feel.
BUT, you make the most of it, and, as buildings & people may disappear, wild nature itself knows how to stay, and keep growing. A huge sign of hope, obviously. Nothing's stronger than Nature, and yet, so very fragile at the same time. Thank you for the reminder.
Those wildflowers are all oh so gorgeous, thank you so much for sharing, Pat.
much love your way
oxoxo

Margie Oomen said...

Just when I thought the names, photographs and varieties of flowers couldn't get any more amazing there came the finale. My heart melted just a tiny bit.

Unknown said...

This story just brought a tear to my eye. Those are the fondest memories I have of my childhood. Thank you for reminding me of our family. I miss my grandparents very much and since their passing it just hasn't been the same. Your description was so perfect and I miss all of you and those great times you described. Love you very much.
Deborah Schacherl

Marie said...

You have written about a place I grew up but, you have put in to words
and shown me a beauty about it that
I could never see.
I was born in Texas but,
we quickly moved away and I remember moving back to Texas at age 4.
I hated the heat...always!
Thank you for showing me the beauty.
:)

jackie said...

you transported me and have so wonderfully reminded me of the treasure we each carry inside of us - memories. your way with words is a treasure as well.
and i think you should create a mosaic of the texas wildflowers, or maybe your own blurb book with your nature photos!

Paul said...

I totally fell in love with Argemone sanguinea when I saw your wonderful pictures. It apparently ranges from pure white to dark red. I understand that you seldom visit your home Texas any longer, but if you ever do and would be able to collect some seeds of this exquisite wildflower I would be eternally grateful. I live in Sweden myself, but as the Argemone is an annual I think I would be able to grow it in a warm corner of the patio. I was in Galveston once a very long time ago, and swam in the Gulf of Mexico at Thanksgiving. It was cool.
my address is olsson.paul1@gmail.com

All the best and thanks for sharing such great pictures !