My ten tias (aunts): Minerva, Albesa, Elia, Elma, Crisanta, Gudrun, America, Rosie, Yolanda, Alba.
When I am driving, or on a long flight, or otherwise suspended between one point and another, I recite the names of my ten tias. I do so to remember. Because for too long I took it for granted that they would always be there, held static in time like the memories I have of them young and happy and full of life. They were there as my guides for how to be a woman, how to be a partner and parent and daughter and professional. All of these roles I juggle while recalling the grace and energy and love with which my ten tias fulfilled all of these roles.
I recite their names and call up memory pictures of food prepared, laughter shared, games played, stories told. In this way they will always be with me.
Last night one of my tias passed away, a woman of incredible grace, courage, and faith. She was a great beauty, petite and feminine and always put together. A born teacher, she eventually served as an elementary school principal and district administrator. She shared her knowledge with the most graceful mix of confidence and gentleness, and her children inherited this beautiful spirit from her.
Even if it's only by reciting my litany of their names, I will remember and hold the spirits of all of these women inside of me.
2 comments:
Beatrice, Cornelia, Pat ( my favorite), Lillian, Zenita are the names of my five aunts , now all departed from this earth. Thanks for reminding me of each of them although I never met Zenita, my father's sister died in Poland at the end of the second world war.
Diane, Katie, Linda, Shirley, Marie, Laura. You really make me consider things from childhood in a new way. I'm sorry that you have to say goodbye to your tia. It seems that your time lately has been filled with some grieving and remembering. It is my wish for you that your remembering has helped console you.
Post a Comment