I have been working on this piece for over a month now off and on, and it's funny how it changes every time I come back to it. I felted and fulled wool roving to make the 12 x 14 piece, and I'm adding crewel wool stitches to "quilt" a pattern like Mongolian rugmakers do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeu4pbtQuEE.
But when I used the crewel wool, I knew I had found just the right thread. The felted fabric lays just right and has a nicely solid texture. I spent most of my sewing time pulling out stitches, so this piece is definitely turning out to be "slow cloth."
It's interesting how the colors are just the ones I'm seeing now in the woods--golden grasses and leaves, the crimson of barns and gates and leaves, and blue sky amidst the remaining green.
How have you captured the fall colors?
4 comments:
I had to look at the big picture of this work in process on flickr. Such wonderful colors, and textures especially the concentric stitching! Yay I'm glad you are finding some time to work on your slow cloth!
Very nice photos :)
The texture is gorgeous, makes me want to reach out and touch it. I love the colours your using so much.
I hadn't hear the term "slow cloth" before, I'll remember that for projects I try and rush through impatience :)
Stunningly beautiful. I am so glad Joanie featured this on her current post. I am looking forward to seeing it completed.
Post a Comment