
From what I've been able to find out online, the Illustrated London News began in 1842 as the world's first weekly illustrated newspaper. (Digitized images from the newspaper are available at the ILN Picture Library.) It's still published today, though only twice a year.
The 1959 Christmas supplement includes reproductions of classical paintings and a charming article, "From Nudity to Pantalettes: An Account of Children's Costume Through the Ages," illustrated by E.H. Shephard (the illustrator of the Winnie the Pooh books).
But perhaps the biggest treasure in this issue is the brilliant and graceful silhouette illustrations by Lotte Reiniger (1899-1981), a German animator who directed what is probably the first full-length animated feature, The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1936). This issue includes four pages of black-and-gold silhouettes illustrating the fairy tales of Thumbelina ("The Enchanting Story of Little Thumbelina Who, After Many Very Strange Adventures, Finds Her Fairy Prince and True Happiness.") and Puss in Boots ("Puss-in-Boots; The Amazing Story of a Clever and Crafty Cat Who Wins a Title--And a Princess--For His Master."). Reiniger created these cutouts exclusively for the magazine.
![]()
Throughout her long career, Reiniger perfected the art of shadow-puppet silhouettes and produced many enchanting animated short films using this technique, most of them retellings of fairy tales. (Several are available on YouTube.) I don't think I can be effusive enough about how accomplished Reiniger's silhouette technique is. The animations she produces are alive and fluid, and the intricate details of the characters and their clothing are astonishing.
I feel like I've missed out on an important branch in the history of animation and illustration not knowing about Reiniger's art until now, but I'm very happy that a chance discovery at a used-book sale introduced me to her work.
UPDATE: Late in 2008 the British Film Institute released a two-DVD set of Reiniger's animated fairy tale films, spanning the years 1922 to 1961. Reiniger's Adventures of Prince Achmed is also available on DVD through BFI.
3 comments:
I would have never known either, without visiting my favorite blog! Silhouettes are so popular these days, but knowing their history makes them that much more captivating. I've been wanting to create ones of family members, but now I feel inspired to look at them as a medium for illustrating something far more complex. I always learn something new at Zencrafting!
I love shadow puppets and scherenschnitte. I got a fat grant from Best Buy for cameras for my kids to use to film shadow puppet shows....which we have yet to create.....
I love library books sales too. I bought a healthy stack just this afternoon!
I have the originals of 'Thumbelina' and 'Puss in Boots' and believe me they are even more amazing!
Post a Comment