Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Vintage Illustrations


I was thrilled to pick up an unusual treasure of a book today from a fellow freecycler, and I couldn't wait to share the vintage illustrations from it. The book--the Juvenile Music volume of the Music Education Series by Thaddeus P. Giddings, Will Earhart, Ralph L. Baldwin, and Elbridge W. Newton--was published by Ginn and Company in 1923.

According to James Denning Price, who reviewed the books in the Music Supervisors' Journal (Vol. 11, No. 3, February 1925), the series includes six books and was intended to be used for elementary through junior-high school music classes. Juvenile Music includes songs for third and fourth grade aspiring choristers.

Price praised the series as "a great achievement":

The first impression which the reviewer had was that he had before him an excellent set of books. This impression is borne out by a careful examination, for they are first of all beautiful books, and every experienced supervisor knows that this feature is of no little importance. Examination further discloses the fact that the size of the books, the binding, and typography are of that degree of excellence which has made the publishers' name a synonym for conscientious work wherever text books are used. The enrichment of the first three books by the use of a few appropriate illustrations, charmingly adapted, is worth special comment."

Katherine G. Healey created seven illustrations for this volume. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any information about her. Although some of the hairstyles and patterns on the little girls' dresses recall the Roaring '20s, the overall mood of the illustrations evokes an earlier era.
The illustration below, which accompanies the song "To Sleepy Town," includes a silhouetted background image of Puss 'n Boots and other fairy tale characters.
The images of children at play in Healey's illustrations are dynamic and full of life. Can't you just imagine a bored music student getting lost in these illustrations instead of singing? (That's probably why the publisher didn't include more illustrations!)

I admire how the limited color palette--black, gray, red, pink--effectively conveys the childlike mood, and I would love to learn more about how the drawings were created and printed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a delightful book, I love those illustrations!

mayaluna said...

This is really a treasure trove of yummy vintage illustrations. I love the palette also. I've returned to look at these pictures several time today. Thanks for sharing them.

Esther said...

This is fascinating- what a find!