
I love going to garage sales and have since I was a kid, and every weekend I feel a little pang when I see listings for sales that I just won't have time to get to. What treasures have I missed discovering, I wonder?
Well, this past weekend two Craig's List posts caught my eye. The combination of items sounded like just what I was looking for, so I dragged my little one on an early-morning treasure hunt.
At our first sale, while my son was opening up baskets and boxes looking for treasure, I found a small pile of vintage linens. Among them was this beautiful red and white hand-knit potholder. It is double thick, and the knitting (or crocheting?) is delicate and perfectly done. Can anybody out there tell me how I might make one of my own?

At the second sale, there were lots of collectible and very breakable items that I had to keep my son well clear of. So I had to be quick at this one. I immediately spotted a vintage set of knitting needles that had belonged to the owner's grandmother and a botanical woodcut of a group of mushrooms. The woman selling it had bought it in the '70s from a woodworker in upstate New York. She said it was one of a series made by Alfreda Abbey, who was somehow connected to Cornell University. I haven't been able to find any information about her, so please let me know if you can tell me anything about the woodcut or the artist.

I can provide a reward for any information about either of these items! Thanks!
Well, this past weekend two Craig's List posts caught my eye. The combination of items sounded like just what I was looking for, so I dragged my little one on an early-morning treasure hunt.
At our first sale, while my son was opening up baskets and boxes looking for treasure, I found a small pile of vintage linens. Among them was this beautiful red and white hand-knit potholder. It is double thick, and the knitting (or crocheting?) is delicate and perfectly done. Can anybody out there tell me how I might make one of my own?

At the second sale, there were lots of collectible and very breakable items that I had to keep my son well clear of. So I had to be quick at this one. I immediately spotted a vintage set of knitting needles that had belonged to the owner's grandmother and a botanical woodcut of a group of mushrooms. The woman selling it had bought it in the '70s from a woodworker in upstate New York. She said it was one of a series made by Alfreda Abbey, who was somehow connected to Cornell University. I haven't been able to find any information about her, so please let me know if you can tell me anything about the woodcut or the artist.

I can provide a reward for any information about either of these items! Thanks!
4 comments:
You found some amazing treasures...and you're so brave...I have such a hard time bringing little ones that I miss most of the great sales. I wish I knew more about the woodcut...it's so gorgeous...so many possibilities of what you could do with it!
Holy cow, what a score! Especially the woodcut - incredible!
I don't know anything about the artist (I live at the opposite side of the planet) but as a printmaker I have to say this is a great work of art. The technique is excellent, your artist has a talent with woodcut, yet this piece stays light and fresh as a drawing. Fine work, it will need protection though, I guess you should have it framed.
Back around 1992 at Olin Library at Cornell University, there was a small exhibit in the lobby. I recall a remarkable woodcut of dandelions gone to seed. I think it may have been by Alfreda Abbey. I seem to recall that she had been a past librarian or the wife of a librarian, perhaps in the 1920's.
Post a Comment