Monday, June 2, 2008

Inspired by Nature

My husband grew up near Philadelphia, where rhododendrons (named for the Greek words for rose and tree) grow wild and flower luxuriantly. He's on a mission to convince me that we should plant the shrubs around the edge of our yard. I'm not a fan of the plant's dark green, leathery leaves, or of its sometimes scraggly branches. But we took a tour this weekend of the botanical gardens, where the rhododendrons are in full and glorious bloom.

I was enchanted by the amazing variety of colors of the rhododendron blossoms--from white to the most shocking hot pinks. The blossoms grow in huge clusters, called trusses.



I think I may be a rhododendron convert.

We also took a walk through the rest of the botanical garden and hiked through the wildflower garden. I was happy to see many of the flowers that are growing wild in our yard and learn their names.

This one is called Dame's Rocket, and the mix of white, pink, and purple blossoms look beautiful clustered in our yard.

Everyone in the family took turns with the camera, and my daughter captured this lovely image of a hosta whose huge leaves cradled a drop of water.


And of course I was on the lookout for silhouetted images to use for paper cutouts.






I left the gardens feeling so invigorated and inspired, and the paper cutouts below are the result of our Sunday morning garden inspiration. Both are for the Artist Trading Card swap with Snippety Gibbet.


The cutout below, of course, is more indirectly inspired by nature. Snippety Gibbet is an avid cyclist, and I included a quote on the back from Frances E. Willard, a 19th-century social reformer, who learned to ride the newly popular bicycle in 1893 when she was in her 50s: "She who succeeds in gaining the mastery of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life."

7 comments:

Margie Oomen said...

I love all your photographs. You are definitely improving and I really encourage you to keep shooting pictures. Your daughter's photograph is stunning. I love how the papercuts ,especially the first one, reflects what you have observed in your garden. Nature really is the strongest inspiration in our lives.

mayaluna said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful walk. Rhododendrons can be a bit scraggly some of the year...but when they're in bloom they are gorgeous! Really beautiful photos...and your cut-oust are su lovely...ATCs are so small...don't know how you managed such detail on such a small canvas! As always,I love how you mix in facts and history with each post...I learn something new with each visit.

ZenCrafter said...

Thanks, margie and mayaluna. I really appreciate the encouragement. It's sometimes hard to put my stuff out there when I'm learning something new, so your comments help. (Constructive criticism is also welcome!)

A few secrets for what made these photos special to me: some of the things I see when I'm out I photograph for a particular person. The fern is for Margie and the twin clusters of hot pink rhododendron flowers are for maya, who is just on fire creatively, and who inspires me every day.

I also discovered that in the everyday jostling that my camera receives, the Macro button that allows me to focus in on things had been turned off!! That's why my closeups had been so fuzzy lately. One technical problem solved, at least.

Snippety Gibbet said...

I'm so excited !!!! I can't wait! And I'm tickled pink to be getting a bike ATC!!! Yippee!!!

ZenCrafter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ZenCrafter said...

Thanks for your enthusiasm, Snippety Gibbet! I hope the quality doesn’t disappoint—as I said in my note, it was really hard for my limited cutting skills to work on that small a scale.

Anonymous said...

Your flowery photographs are beautiful. I never knew that rhododendron meant rose/tree in Greek either! I love the little card with the lady near the bicycle. It's powerful!
Linnea
http://linneapaulina.typepad.com